I am so incredibly busy with kids, school, work and LAUNDRY that I haven't had time to read blogs or write on mine but I have a question if there is anyone out there reading this!! I am learning so much about just how much the general population and even the medical community don't know about breastfeeding. I am trying to put together an education class at work for pregnant moms who have never breastfed, most have never even seen someone breastfeed! So if all of you don't mind commenting and sharing this post with others I would appreciate it. I need to know what information would have been most important to you as a pregnant mom deciding how toy feed your baby? What information would have made you want to at least try it?
I still nurse my almost 14 month old at night. We made it to a year exclusively breast feeding. I wish someone had told me to bring a nursing pillow with me to the hospital. I had to have the my brest friend pillow. Still use it. I think a lot of moms quit in that first month when it hurts so bad. For us the main motivator was how much money we could save. Other problems that came up were him getting distracted around 6 months. I had to nurse him in his room with the door shut and no talking. Biting. He only did it when he was teething and I would just quit nursing him when he did it. I also heard a lot of horror stories about kids having to be on really expensive formulas because of their sensitive stomachs. Breast feeding was so easy for us I was terrified of switching and trying to find a formula that worked for him. When we started rice cereal at 5 months it constipated him and I knew formula can do that. Now I love that he still gets stuff that is so good for him and it comforts him when he isn't feeling well.
ReplyDeleteI think the most important thing is you have to decide that you are going to BF no matter what! Mind over matter. Yes it can be difficult, hard at times, even painful but it does get better. Another important thing is knowing what is really in formula. Read the ingredients, most I can't even say. I only want the best for my baby and I wanted to know exactly what he was getting food wise, so breast feeding was my only choice. Yes another thing was cost. I just calculated today that if I formula fed, it would cost roughly $260/month or just over $3k/year. I think it is important to educate yourself, find a support person who has gone through the process, also talk to the hospital about if they offer BF classes. I had an amazing lactation consultant & the hospital I delivered at was big on BF, very helpful after delivery. They wouldn't even give my baby a pacifier or supplement formula, now looking back I'm so thankful for. I also think many women think they don't produce enough, but milk production is based on supply & demand. Diet/nutrition is also so important in a nursing mother. There are ways to increase milk supply through diet. My favorite are milk makers cookies, purchased online -work amazing! Again, I think you have to tell yourself YES I will breast feed no matter what & stick with it!! It's easy to get discouraged and quit but you only get one chance to do what's best for your baby. Breast is best is my motto! For me, there was no other choice but to BF. I think the bond between a mother & a BF baby is undescribable! That's the one thing that I only I can do for my baby, no one else gets to experience that other than a mother which I think is pretty amazing!
ReplyDeleteIn a nut shell: educate yourself, get/have support (you will definitely need it), don't give up! There are ways to produce more milk & it shouldn't hurt once you have a good latch, if it does ask for help. I used breast shields in between feeding, made a world of difference which the hospital gave me. What a great way to encourage moms to be!
ReplyDeleteI m a new mom to a four month old. Many of my friends did not have success with breastfeeding so I was incredibly nervous. I was amazed that babies know exactly what to do. The nurses where I delivered were so helpful and I also met with a location consultant in and out of the hospital. They helped tremendously by answering questions and supporting the learning process. I found it beneficial to try different positions in the beginning. I experienced some discomfort at the but it didn't last long.
ReplyDeleteI am offering our baby the best nutrition I can and it is at no additional cost.
I think all these ladies and I have the same thing to say, education is key. When we had our first baby I was scared to death and had no clue what I was doing. In the hospital, he latched on and everything went great. When we got home, however, not so much. I pumped for 12 months with him, unaware that I should have tried again to get him to re-latch at a different feeding, if only I had educated myself!! The other two babies have done fine! I think that new moms need to know that they must be determined, that cracked and bleeding nipples can happen and shields help until they heal, that you are sore when your milk comes in, that mastitis is a roadblock but can be hurdled. They need to know that in the end, God created our bodies to feed our babies. :)
ReplyDeleteBreast milk is the best thing you can give your child other than telling them about Jesus! God made us to breastfeed and it is very natural. The more you nurse the more you'll make. SUPPLY & DEMAND! The first two weeks are the worst! You will be sore and want to quit but take it one day at a time and after 2 weeks the soreness will go away and you will love it! DRINK TONS OF WATER! Relax while nursing it helps the milk to let down. Babies who nurse take 500 calories a day and that helps mom lose weight!!! Take a prenatal vitamin everyday. After nursing 3 of my boys all differently, I think on demand feeding is best. Babies have growth spurts and you never know when they are hungry so just feed them when they cry. Its comforting and relaxing. Enjoy this bonding time. They grow up too fast! Breastmilk digests quicker than formula and that means they nurse more often. Remember Supply and demand. The more you nurse, the more you make! Trust your body to do what we were born to do! I wish I could be a lactation consultant. I definately have a passion for it!
ReplyDelete