My friend Sammi wrote a post yesterday that got me thinking. You can read her post here
Johnson Party of 7: Enough is Enough It basically describes what I think is every SAHMs biggest enemy HERSELF. I myself feel much the same way Sammi does. I rarely get dressed, hardly ever ear makeup, and generally don't do a lot to take care of myself. I don't usually think too much about it but since Sammi was nice enough to bring it to my attention I can't stop thinking about it since yesterday. My question is why do moms feel like they are inadequate ? I mean we are doing the hardest and most important job in the planet, a job that requires 24 hours shifts, 365 days a year, no sick days and no pay, so what gives us the right to be so hard on ourselves? I don't know one mom who isn't overly critical about herself and/or her mothering, myself included. The demands are high our profession and our expectations of ourselves are often unattainable. So while I think it is always great to try and better ourselves I also think we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much when we fall short. After all we are just human and in the grand scheme of things a dirty house and hair that isn't fixed can be overlooked, your happiness and your children's happiness are all that really matter. I am pretty sure I didn't say what I set out to say in this post but I think you get the idea, right?? Now head on over to Johnson Party of Seven and encourage Sammi on her journey to find her happiness.
I think that our society is to blame for a lot of what moms feel. I do not stay at home and still feel the same way.
ReplyDeleteI think that women are still stereotyped into the June Cleaver role. In our small group class at church, the co-pastors wife said that in her marriage class (15 years ago) they were told that women should fix their hair, put on makeup, and wear a dress after the had dinner waiting on the table when their husbands got home from work. Yep, this was just 15 years ago.
I know personally, I get into a rut that is so big and hard to get out of. Sometimes it is just easier to stay in the rut than to take the time to get out of it.