Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Teens and toddlers

Can I be honest? It is hard having teens and toddlers. People see us and see the two teenagers and say things like "oh, you have your hands full but at least you have these helpers." and usually they are good helpers but they are not adults, they are still children. I honestly don't ever want them to feel as though they are "raising" their younger siblings, after all my husband and I are the ones who chose to have all the kids not them. Don't get me wrong I do expect them to help but I never want to overdo it or make them resent the younger kids.
That being said it is a difficult balance.It is hard to find things everyone wants to do. I always feel like someone is missing out, either we are shuttling the big kids places or going to a place the smaller children enjoy and the teens are bored.
I feel stressed some days, especially in the summer trying to keep everyone happy and occupied. I don't want anyone to look back on their child/teen years with anything but fond memories. Some days I really struggle with guilty feelings for having kids so spread out.
I know their are other families like ours but I don't personally know any and I am still trying to figure out how to make this all work.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm a new follower from Blog Frog. It's a pleasure to meet you. I am the mother of a teen, tween and 8 month old. I can TOTALLY relate to what you are sharing here. In fact, I just mentioned this to a friend the other day. It is just a part of the older child's development. We all make sacrifices for people we love, and later the younger children will learn compromise from whatever life is like at that time. You do the best you can do. My tween seems to be the one that goes with the flow, so my challenge is staying consistent in the little activities we plan to do together (he likes to cook, he has a TV show we watch at the same time each day, etc). Your children are beautiful ... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete