Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I am not ashamed that I watch Teen Mom

I am 32 years old and I watch Teen Mom, on MTV and I am not ashamed. I started watching the show because since I was a teen mom myself I was interested in how realistic the show would be.
I can assure you that for the most part it is very real.
They show the girls struggle, the baby's dads leave, the struggle with custody, as well as the few who have chosen adoption, or actually gone on to marry.
I have heard people say that this show will only encourge young girls to have babies. I thought the opposite and I was right. I have read many studies that show that since this show aired the teen birth rate across America had dropped by at least 30%.
I actually watch this show with my 15 year old daughter and it has helped open the door for many discussions on dating, sex and parenthood. I actually think this show is wonderful and educational. These girls share the real picture of teen parented and not the textbook view most girls received before.
I have heard people say well you are rewarding these girls for their behavior and I disagree, I believe you are giving these girls a platform to share their mistakes with others so they aren't repeated.
I think teen age girls have this fantasy that they will have a baby and the boy will love them and stay with them and they will live happily ever after. That is seldom the case. Girls need to know that in most cases they will be raising this child alone. They also need to know how having a baby at a young age will affect their relationships with friends, relatives and future partners forever.
I think MTV has done a great thing with this show. I am sure others will disagree but I love love the fact that this show is getting this subject out there and helping to prevent more teenage pregnancies.

No comments:

Post a Comment