Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Worrying about worrying: What it's like to grow up with OCD


If you have ever wondered what it is like to have OCD, have OCD or suspect someone you love has it, the below article is for you. Having suffered from this condition my whole life I can identify. I can't wait to read this book. OCD is often misunderstood and is usually takes a back seat to other, more common mental illnesses. I have heard more times than I can count "Just don't worry", it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't suffer from this disease just how impossible that is. To a person with OCD worrying even about completely absurd things is uncontrollable and the fear and anxiety associated with these fears is very real and often cause physical ailments as well. I hope more people will step forward and tell their stories, especially about childhood onset. Many children suffer in silence, or are simply unable or too ashamed to explain what they are feeling. I hope more parents and physicians can begin to recognize the signs of OCD in children and help these children get the help they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment