Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Childhood dreams




What was your dream as a child? What did you long to be? The other day I shared with my children the book that started my childhood dreams. I shared with them all about what I loved as a child, what I longed to be. It was fun reminiscing and thinking about how differently my life turned out.
So what did I want to be? I wanted to be a primatologist. I wanted to work with gorillas, be the next Dian Fossey (think Gorilla's in the Mist). It all started when I was about 7 and I read KoKo's Kitten at school. If you don't know Koko is a gorilla that has been taught sign language by her keeper Penny Paterson.
After reading this book I fell in love with gorillas, I sent all allowance money to the Dian Fossey gorilla fund, or The gorilla foundation. I read every book about gorillas I could find and sent letters of every zoo and gorilla expert I could find.
I of course never thought about the face that I also loved children and wanted to have a family which of course isn't conducive to living in the mountains of Africa.




I kept every letter, every magazine in my gorilla files folder. I still love gorillas and think it would have been wonderful to work with them, but I think being a mommy is just as great.

No comments:

Post a Comment