Friday, April 13, 2012

I got tired of people asking....


When you have a large family, people feel the urge to ask you questions. Usually they are just curious but there are on occasion people who say very rude and hurtful things.
There are lots of times when I am at the store without my daughter, with just the boys that people say "Aww, no girl?" or "all boys huh?" or "Are you going to try for a girl" and they all say it in this sad little tone. As if having all boys is some kind of plaque or handicap.
When we are all together we hear, "Do, you know what causes this?", or "Are you Catholic" or " You are not having anymore are you?" or " Did you mean to have this many?" .
More often than not people seem sad or offended that we have so many kids. They can't believe that we would possibly have WANTED this big of a family. There are very few people who actually say complementary things to us.
I guess normal people only have two children? Anyway, I decided to make a shirt to wear to curb the questions. We will see what reaction I get!

8 comments:

  1. Love the shirt! I have 3 boys...almost 4, 2.5 and 3 months. I already get these 3 questions all the time. Drives me bonkers! Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shirt!!! Awesome way to keep others from those crazy questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get these same silly, sad, and hurtful comments when I got out with my 4 boys. I had one lady say "Wow four boys! that's too much!" Oh ok so what am I supposed to do give one back? And most of the time people say "bless your heart" like they feel sorry for me but I respond with "they are a blessing!" I always try to smile and respond positively but inside it hurts to hear these things. I love the shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, I always smile and say what a blessing they are. The back of the shirt says Blessed mom of 6!! I guess people assume we "accidentally" had 6 kids? LOL

      Delete
  4. hi! from kelly's korner :) i get some of the same reactions when i have all 3 boys with me. i just laugh and say how blessed i am. boys love their momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 7 children and people ask me those questions all the time....where did you get the stuff to make the shirt?...i would like to make me one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made it at vistaprint.com and they had lots of designs to choose from:)

      Delete
  6. Love the shirt! My husband and I have six girls together. He had three and I had two when we married~ he adopted mine~ and we have one together. I wrote about finding out we were having "another girl" on my blog. (May 2010) We had to wait for grands to get a boy in the family. lol
    A couple of hours ago, we were even talking about how we wouldn't change a thing about having all girls~ even if we could. :)
    Your family is gorgeous! Y'alls family pic in your header is amazing! :)
    PS I'm always surprised at the comments strangers make~ I'm sure some are just teasing, but some people are RUDE! When my husband and I married, he got some good-natured teasing like, "You can't even MARRY into boys." lol And my ob-gyn (who I saw after my baby-making days~ our "baby" turns 20 tomorrow) said, "So... when you gonna try for that boy." I just laughed at him and said, "I'm not paying your Corvette note." But I don't remember being told anything negative.

    ReplyDelete