Thursday, June 17, 2010

OCD and dieting

I never thought that OCD had anything to do with my eating habits, until I started dieting recently. I then discovered that over the years apparently I have used eating sweets as a coping mechanism for my OCD when things are stressful. I start to feel anxious, I feel the need to eat, I eat and for a while I feel better. Much the same way as when i feel a compulsion to do other things i.e. put on a certain shirt or straighten a rug, for a while doing the behavior relieves my anxiety and makes me feel better. So needless to say lately my diet has not been going so well, I'll do very well in the morning and then in the late afternoon when I am the most stressed I think "well I feel really anxious/stressed so just this once I'll eat a cookie" so I do then I feel guilty for eating the cookie. It's a vicious cycle! I guess the bright side is I am learning a lot about myself and how my coping skills are not the best. I need to work on other ways to relieve my stress than just grabbing the nearest snack and eating. Losing weight=feeling better about myself=less stress=less OCD symptoms and that is helpful to everyone I love!! So i must find a way to beat this cycle.

5 comments:

  1. I do some of that. Sometimes the only thing that really makes me feel better, at least for a moment, is some really good chocolate. I am thinking you are right though that there have to be better ways to cope with stress. One of the best ones I have found is breathing in for ten counts and out for ten counts over and over and focus on your body relaxing. The trick is finding time to do it! :) Keep working on it. I know you will find something that works. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Sonora's blog and wanted to stop by. Turns out I can really relate. I had a friend who was going through a divorce. She called me several times a day and the stress was awful. Every time she called, I'd stand in front of the refrigerator or the pantry. It took a while to realize it, but as I was empathizing with her, I was eating so I could avoid feeling it. Boy, the things we do to cope! Had I been going through it myself, they would have had to cut a hole in the side of the house to get me out! lol
    Glad I found your blog and I look forward to reading more about you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very OCD I think. I have never been officially diagnosed with it but I hate messes and everything in my home has a spot. I can't stand things out of order and I have a very strict routine in my life. So with all that being said. I have noticed that taking B12 and regular vitamins daily makes a huge difference. I get major headaches from my stress and when I take vitamins every day the headaches are greatly reduced. I don't eat right so the vitamins are a must. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I already knew about you! I mean your blog of course. But Sonora has you featured today...and I wanted to just be sure to support her efforts to support others!!

    Now, I'm off to check out the link you left in a prior post about OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you through Sonora's blog, and just wanted to give you a little show of support! I don't have OCD, but I do have severe anxiety and depression, which I take medication for. It can be so hard to talk about, but it's a huge part of my life (and sometimes a controlling part). By the way, your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete