Friday, April 6, 2012

The Melatonin miracle ..

My 5 year old has been having horrible, unexplained leg pain for over a year. I am talking up in the middle of the night, screaming, writhing, kind of pain.
The leg cramps came and went with out warning and we could never pinpoint anything that could be triggering them. I took him to the doctor several times over the course of this year trying to find something to make his agony stop, but nothing we tried worked. He had xrays, a cat scan and lots of blood work but nothing came up with an answer.
Then shortly after Christmas he got the stomach bug and for weeks after he complained of stomach pains, which cause the same reaction, he would wake screaming that his tummy hurt and nothing seemed to calm him.
We went back to the doctor and she could not find anything wrong, but she did tell us that she believed his pain was a manifestation of night terrors. She said she has seen this before in kid his age. The pain is real to them, the are in pain but it is not medically related. She wanted us to try melatonin to see if he fell deeper into sleep the pain would go away. I was skeptical but tried it that very night.
For the first time in months he didn't wake screaming, he slept through the night. I was amazed and thankful. He has been taking it ever since and the only time he has ever had another issue is the one night we forgot go give it to him.
It has been so wonderful. He has no pain and is sleeping well. I just wish we had tried it sooner.

3 comments:

  1. Where can I get melatonin??? please email me at tcote22@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has happened to me! I've been recommended melatonin many times but never tried it. I take so many things that even though it's natural I hate taking more. I'll try it! Glad it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to take it to help me sleep and told a friend about it. She was on the verge of being put on medication for her high blood pressure when she started the melatonin to help with her sleep. The next month she went to the dr. about her blood pressure and it was normal and has been ever since! She takes a small dose every night and it has kept her BP normal! Her dr. doesn't believe it...as in he's not ready to recommend it to others...but he told her whatever is working, keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete